.

WALES — THOMAS DALTON FAMILY

Our sincere appreciation is extended to DGS Member Rodney G. Dalton of Utah for the following compilation. Because of the extensive research provided, you can download a PDF Version of this page here.

These Dalton's and some related families are the ancestors of Thomas Dalton, 1731, who was the one and only Dalton from this family to come to America in 1757-1760.

BACK TO MAIN WALES PAGE

(search this page, highlight and jump to the results)

Papers of Sir John Williams (1840-1926), with other Dalton information from the NLW.
Sir John Williams was the first president of the National Library; also deeds and a few letters which formed part of his collection. The deeds, 1324-1896, relate mainly to Carmarthenshire, 16th-19th cent., and include groups centred on the families of Vaughan of Llanelli and Jones of Ystrad; also a group relating to Wynn of Gwidir, Denbighshire, 1252-1797.

Sir John Williams Deeds and Papers (1980), xv + 304 pp.

A large proportion of the deeds and documents collected by Sir John relate to properties in co. Carm.. Nos 1-33 (1547-1677) seem to belong to a definite group. Nos 1-6, 8-22, 24, 26, 28, 30-32 are marked on the dorse ‘ /n’ which suggests that they were formerly grouped together. To these must be added No. 125, a volume of 40 deeds, bound between Middlehill boards ( formerly Phillipps MS 25103) in which many of the deeds relate to properties in the same parishes as those found in Nos 1-33, and, in some cases, to the same properties. The following parishes are represented: Kidwelly, Laugharne, Llanarthne, Llandyfaelog, Llanelli, Llangennech, Llan- non, Llanstephan, Pen-bre (Pembrey).


The deeds in this group attest to three main families acquiring property, namely,
1) The Penries of Swansea and Llanelli,
2) The Daltons of Pen-bre,
3) The Vaughans of Llanelli.


1. The Penries of Swansea and Llanelli
The deeds record that the Penries were acquiring land in p’s Llanarthne, Llanelli, and Llangennech, co. Carm., in the period 1577-1627. The first member of the family to be party to deeds in the collection is Lewis Penry of Llanelli, gent. (No. 6 and bound Vol. No. 125/31). The other is his son, Griffith Penry (Nos 12-13, 15, 18, and bound Vol. No. 125/20, 31, 33).


2. The Daltons of Pen-bre
The deeds record that the Daltons were acquiring land in p’s Llanelli and Pen-bre in the period 1653-1714. Walter Dalton of Pen-bre, gent., is party to No. 22, Charles Dalton to Nos 30-3 and bound Vol. No. 125/9, 17, 38, and Edward Dalton to No. 125/19.

Pedigree of the Daltons of Pen-bre: see Schedule of Sir John Williams Papers p. iv.


3. The Vaughans of Llanelli
The deeds record that the Vaughans of Llanelli were acquiring land in p’s Llandyfaelog, Llanelli, Llangennech, and Llan-non in the period 1619-1675. Walter Vaughan of Llanelli is party to Nos 14, 17, 21, and bound Vol. No. 125/1, 4, 6, 8, 12, 40. Other members of the family who are party to the deeds are John Vaughan, esq. in Nos 24, and bound Vol. No. 125/11, 39, and Henry Vaughan of Derwith, esq., in No. 27.

Pedigree of the Daltons of Pen-bre: see Schedule of Sir John Williams Papers p. v.
(This was not found)


1663, April 10

1. David William John of Penbrey, co. Carm., yeoman, John David William of same, yeoman, his son and heir

2. Walter Dalton of same, gent.

RELEASE from all errors in a fine levied on a m. called Tye Pen y Coyde in Achddy, and 3 plots of ground, between the lands of Roger David William to the north, east, and south, and the way leading from the house where R.D.W. lives to the water grist mill called Mellin Achddy to the west; a kyver of arable land called Y Kyuer Bach worth y Tye; 3 kyvers of arable land ( boundaries defined); 1 kyver of arable land (boundaries defined); ½ kyver of arable land (boundaries defined); 2 kyvers of arable, meadow and pasture ground at Brinn Goodigg.


1673, Nov. 18

1. William John Morris of Pembrey, co. Carm., gent., Owen William of same, yeoman, and Sybill, his wife, David Hoskins of same, yeoman, Griffith Edward of Llanelly, co. Carm., yeoman

2. Charles Dalton of Pembrey, co. Carm., gent.

BOND in £60 for the observance of covenants in an indenture of bargain and sale of even date between 1 and 2 concerning a meadow called Gwaine Penlloyne in p. PEMBREY.


1674, Oct. 16

1. John William Bevan of Pembrey, co. Carm., yeoman

2. Charles Dalton of same, gent.

QUITCLAIM of a close or park called Parke Lletty Coch (3 kyvers), between the lands of 2 to the south and west, in tenure of John David Lewis and Mathewe Traharne, the lands of William Ball, esq., called She Newith to the east, the lands of Sir Edw’ Mansell, bart, to the north; a parcel of land (½ kyver) between lands of 2 to the south and north, the lands of Sir Edward Mansell, bart, to the east and west, situated at Achdy, p. PEMBREY. Consideration: £10

Fragment of Seal


1674, Oct. 31

1. William Bonvill of Penbrey, co. Carm., yeoman

2. Charles Dalton of same, gent.

QUITCLAIM of a park called Park Jum Reese (5 keyvers) between the lands of David Hoskins to the south, the lands of William Ball, esq., in tenure of John Jenkin William to the north and west, and the lands of Phillip Vaughan, esq., to the east, situated at Penlloyne in p. PENBREY. Consideration: £5


1677, March 27

1. John David William John ap John Pewcocke of Pembrey, co. Carm., yeoman

2. Charles Dalton of same

BOND in £52 for the observance of covenants in a deed of fee simple of even date, between 1 and 2 concerning a m. called The Gorse, lying between a common called Gorse Achdy to the south, the lands of Charles Dalton to the east, and the lands of Sir Edward Mansell, bart, to the north and west, situated at Gwaylodd Achdy, in p. PEMBREY.

Cf. Derwydd Deeds No. 186 (p. 114 of Schedule) for a deed of release relating to this bond.


125/9

1674/5, March 20

1. John Jenkins of Pembrey, co. Carm., gent., and Henry Dunell of Llanelly, co. Carm., merchant

2. Charles Dalton of Pembrey, co. Carm., gent.

BOND in £77 for the observance of covenants in a deed of bargain and sale of even date between 1 and 2 of a close and six a. of land called Teer Egluis, in p. LLANELLY.


125/17

1670, May 1

1. John William Bevan of Penbrey, co. Carm., yeoman

2. Charles Dalton of the same, gent.

BOND in 3s. 4d. for the observance of covenants in indenture of even date between 1 and 2.


125/19

1714, Nov. 25

1. Edward Dalton of Pembrey, co. Carm. gent.

2. John Lloyd of Langennech, co. Carm., esq.

BARGAIN AND SALE being an exchange of an a. of land owned by 1 called Parc Isha Bach (occupant named) lying near a tmt of 2 called Penycoed, bounded by the lands of 1 and William Morrice on the south, the lands of 2 on the west, north and east; also half an a. of marsh owned by 1 called Corneli, Pengwydd, lying near a tmt of land called Tir Chettrish, near a house on that tmt of land, being now inclosed within that field of 2, having the mears of the said ½ a. and the said field to the end of two water ditches opposite to the other, having the lands of 1 to the east, south and west, and the lands of 2 to the north, in p. LLANELLY. 2 is to have the 1 a. called Parc Isha Bach and the ½ a. of marsh land called Corneli, Pengwydd. 1 is to have Penycoed, the lands of 2 bounding the said 1 a., and 2’s field near the said ½ a. of marsh.


125/38

1676, Oct. 4

1. Roger Haskins of Pembrey, co. Carm., husbandman

2. Charles Dalton of the same, gent.

LEASE for a year of a meadow called Waine Wenne, situated at Gwaylodd(?) Achdy (boundaries defined), in p. PEMBREY.


125/17

1670, May 1

1. John William Bevan of Penbrey, co. Carm., yeoman

2. Charles Dalton of the same, gent.

BOND in 3s. 4d. for the observance of covenants in indenture of even date between 1 and 2.



3. The Vaughans of Llanelli
The deeds record that the Vaughans of Llanelli were acquiring land in p’s Llandyfaelog, Llanelli, Llangennech, and Llan-non in the period 1619-1675. Walter Vaughan of Llanelli is party to Nos 14, 17, 21, and bound Vol. No. 125/1, 4, 6, 8, 12, 40. Other members of the family who are party to the deeds are John Vaughan, esq. in Nos 24, and bound Vol. No. 125/11, 39, and Henry Vaughan of Derwith, esq., in No. 27.


125/6

1634, April 26

1. David Vaughan of Trymsaran, co. Carm., esq.

2. Walter Vaughan of Llanelly, esq.

BOND in £100 for the peaceable possession of (i) a meadow called Gweyn y Bardd (ii) a parcel of arable land adjoining property (i) (boundaries defined), (iii) a parcel of land between the highway from Llanelly to Castle Lowchor to the west, Y Weyn Gam to the south, the lands of Hugh John ap John to the north, and Y Weyn Gam and Tir Grygos to the east, (iv) a parcel of land called Tir John David John, adjoining Weyne Gam, Tir Grigos and property (iii), in p. LLANELLY, co. Carm.


ASHBURNHAM 1

Deposited by J. D. Bickersteth, esq., per F. W. Steer, esq., County Archivist to the East Sussex County Council.


Records of the Welsh estates of the earls of Ashburnham, 1392-1923. The estates descended from the Vaughan family of Bredwardine, Herefordshire. The chief estates were Porthamal, Breconshire, and that in the parishes of Llanddeusant, Myddfai, and Pembrey, Carmarthenshire. The main Ashburnham archive is in East Sussex RO. See also BRA 1933.

Schedules (1954), 62 pp.; (1984), 42 pp. Also Maps. AR 1954-55, pp. 47-8; 1964-65, p. 55; 1981-82, p. 80.


A. VOLS

1695 - 1705

RENTAL and ACCOUNT BOOK containing a rental of the manor of English Talgarth, [co. Brec.], 2 Dec. 1695; rent rolls of Llanthoysant, [co. Carm.] and Llangenith, [co. Glam.], 1695; accounts touching Porthamall House, 1695; accounts of Charles Dalton with Lord Ashburnham touching the estate

in cos Brec., Carm., and Glam., 1695 - 1705; and a particular of the Penbraye estate, co. Carm. made at Penbraye 4 July 1687.

 

1714-21

ACCOUNTS of coal sold by Messrs John and James Dalton out of the coal works

of the Earl of Ashburnham at Penbrey, co. Carm., with details of the coal carried away by sea; also (at the back of the vol.) general accounts between the Earl of Ashburnham and the said John and James Dalton.


1725/6, Mar. 2

1. Richard Dalton the elder of Newhall, p. Swansey, co. Glam., gent.,

Mary, his wife, and Richard Dalton the younger of Newhall, gent., their son and heir.

2. Edward Davies of the co. bor. of Carmarthen, gent.

3. Arthur Bevan of Laugharn, co. Carm., esq.

RELEASE of a m. and lands called the Graige alias Alth y Nant y Graige, p. Pembrey, co. Carm.; two closes of land called Bryn Llandery and Vagur Shanny, p. Pembrey; a m. called Tyr John Griffith Lawrence, p. Pembrey; and m’s and lands at or near Hawkinchurch alias Llansaint, p. St Ishmaels. The purpose of this release is to make the said Edward Davies a perfect tenant of the freehold in order to suffer a common recovery of the said properties to specified uses.


1725/6, March 3

1. John Vaughan of Dole Gwme, p. Pencarregg, co. Carm., gent., and Anne, his wife, daughter and heir of John Williams, late of Gelly Dowyll, co. Carm., gent., dec.

2. Richard Philipps the elder of co. bor. Carmarthen, gent., and Richard Dalton of the same place, gent.

LEASE, with intent to release, of m’s called Dolegoome, Tythyn or Tyr y Bryn Gwynne, Tyr Dol Gwynne, Tyr Dol Vawre, park Letty Rees, Tyr y Werne Vawre and Gwerne y Bedow, Tyr Lloyn y Vron, Tyr Gelly Gnoyen, Tyr Lletty yn y Coed, Tyr Lletty Rees, Tyr dan y Graige, Llaine y Dole, Tyr Gelly Eynon David ap Evan Blayney and Tyr ychlaw Care Elwiddz, a parcel called Llain Thomas Morgan Jenkin yn y Dole rhwython, m’s called Keven bryn, Kae Mawr and Derlloyn and a water corn grist mill called Dolegoome Mill, all in p. Pencarregg, co. Carm., and m’s called Tyr y sychnant, Dyfrin, Clawth Owen and the Graige and other m’s in p. Llanvinith, co. Carm.


1725/6, March 4

1. John Vaughan of Dole Gwme, p. Pencarregg, co. Carm., gent., and Anne, his wife

2. Richard Philipps of co. bor. Carmarthen, gent., and Richard Dalton of co. Carmarthen, gent.

3. Walter Lloyd of Peterwell, co. Card., esq.

RELEASE of m’s called Dolegoome, Tythyn or Tyr y Bryn Gwynne, Tyr Dol Gwynne, Tyr Dol Vawre, park Letty Rees, Tyr y Werne Vawre and Gwerne y Bedow, Tyr Lloyn y Vron, Tyr Gelly Gnoyen, Tyr Lletty yn y Coed, Tyr Lletty Rees, Tyr dan y Graige, Llaine y Dole, Tyr Gelly Eynon David ap Evan Blayney and Tyr ychlaw Care Elwiddz, a parcel called Llain Thomas Morgan Jenkin yn y Dole rhwython, m’s called Keven bryn, Kae Mawr and Derlloyn and a water corn grist mill called Dolegoome Mill, all in p. Pencarregg, co. Carm., and m’s called Tyr y sychnant, Dyfrin, Clawth Owen and the Graige and other m’s in p. Llanvinith, co. Carm. in order to make Richard Philipps and Richard Dalton tenants of the freehold for the purpose of suffering a recovery.


1726, April 8

EXEMPLIFICATION of a recovery dated 2 April 1726 whereby Walter Lloyd, esq ., recovered from Richard Phillipps and Richard Dalton, gent’s, lands in p’

s Pencarregg and llanvinith, co. Carm.


1780, July 7-8

1 Albert Davids of the parish of Saint Peter, Carmarthen, esq., executor of John Aubrey of the parish of Saint John the Evangelist, Westminster, gent., deceased

2 Thomas Howell of the parish of Saint Peter, Carmarthen, gent.

3 David Edwardes of the parish of Saint Peter, Carmarthen, esq. LEASE AND RELEASE to lead the uses of a recovery of the fields called Parke Marchog, Parke Hespin otherwise Parke Thomas John Howell, Parke Bach, Parke David Rees, and Parke Castell Hespin, and of the field called Parke Trencher otherwise Parke Castell Evan, held by Edward Dalton, apothecary, parish of Saint Peter, co. of the borough of Carmarthen.


Vaughan Family

Before 1677 the Ashburnham Welsh estate belonged to the Vaughan family,

originally of Bredwardine, Herefordshire. This family claimed descent through Walter Sais from Moreiddig Warwyn and thence from Drymbenog ap Maenarch, lord of Brycheiniog Following the marriage of Sir Richard Vaughan to Anne, daughter and heiress of John Butler of Pembrey, sometime during the first half of the sixteenth century, the family acquired both the Pembrey and Dunraven estates. Sir Walter's son, Sir Richard's heir, was sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1557 and living at Dunraven in 1584.

Between November 1661 and November 1662 the estate passed to an heiress, Bridget Vaughan, the daughter of Walter Vaughan by his wife Alice. A cousin, Rowland Vaughan, however, disputed her title in the Bill of Complaint already referred to. He claimed that previous family settlements had stipulated that the estate should devolve upon male heirs only. He also alleged that Bridget Vaughan's mother had persuaded Frederick Vaughan to make a settlement favouring her daughter and that advantage had been taken of the 'age and infirmity' of Frederick Vaughan who was, or so Rowland Vaughan claimed, blind from birth and 'so by his impotence easy to be abused and not knowing what he did but as the confederates should inform him'.

Naturally, this version of events was denied by Alice and Bridget Vaughan, as was the assertion that Frederick Vaughan had been blind from birth.

They maintained that his blindness resulted from an attack of smallpox in his infancy. That Frederick was blind cannot be disputed since he signed documents with a mark, even though he was a clergyman.

Rowland Vaughan's claim was rejected and Bridget married in 1677 John, 1st baron Ashburnham, of Battle, Sussex.


1607/8, Feb. 7

1. Sir Edward Phelips, kt, king’s serjeant-at-law, and John Sewarde, gent. 2. Sir Walter Vaughan of Fallersdon, Wiltshire, kt

BARGAIN AND SALE, in consideration of £900, of the Campum called Caldecote in co. Carm. with all its rights, profits, etc., in the Duchy of Lancaster within the lordship of Kidwellie, with all m’s, buildings, profits, etc., thereto belonging, excepting advowsons of churches.

Rent: £14.13.4 to the Receiver of the Duchy of Lancaster annually. Latin.


LLWYNGWAIR

Deposited by Air Commodore J. B. Bowen, CBE, DL, JP,

Berry Hill, Newport, Pembrokeshire, and Monkton Old Hall, Pembroke


COMPILED BY D. J. BOWEN, 1953, AND B. G. CHARLES, 1961


Estate and family records, 16th-20th cent., of Bowen of Llwyngwair, co. Pembroke, with records of associated estates, particularly that of Bevan of Laugharne, cos Pembroke and Carmarthen.

Schedules (1953), 385 pp.; (1961), 45 pp. Also Maps. Annual Report 1942-43, p. 31; 1943-44, p. 29; 1961-62, pp. 45-6; @ NLWJ, 7 (1951-2), pp. 376-8.

Llwyngwair, the ancestral home of the depositor of this collection, lies in the parish of Nevern, co. Pembroke.


1690, Dec. 27

1. James Dalton of the parish of Pembrey, Richard Reynold of the parish of Lansadornen, Howell Powell of the parish of Laugharne and John Hafford of the parish of Lanvyhangle Aber-Cowin, all of co. Carmarthen, gentlemen; 2. Nathaniell Bevan, James Bevan, Mary Bevan, Elizabeth Bevan and Hester Bevan, spinsters, all of the town of Laugharne.

RELEASE of claims arising from the estate of Richard Bevan late of the town of Laugharne, gent., deceased.


1699/1700, Jan. 3

1. John Bevans of the parish of Llanvihangell Abercowin, co. Carmarthen, gent.;

2. Zachary Bevans, mercer, Thomas Powell, alderman, Benjamin Bevans, mercer, and James Dalton, gent.

BOND for the observance of covenants.


1709, April 2

1. Zacharias Bevan of Laugharn, co. Carmarthen;

2. John Dalton of Penbreyn, gent.

BOND for the payment of £100 and interest.


1743/4, Feb. 26

WRIT to Edward Davies, Richard Dalton, David Morgan, Daniel Shewen,

William Rees, Thomas Jones, Lewis Davies, John Adams, Albert Davies and William Adams, gentlemen, to take the answer of Arthur Bevan, esq., defendant, to the complaint of Thomas Harding, his wife, and others, complainants.


1773, Dec. 29

1. Bridget Bevan, widow of Arthur Bevan late of Laugharn, co. Carmarthen, esq., deceased;

2. James Dalton of Penclawdd, co. Glamorgan, gent., officer in the customs;

3. The Reverend James Dalton of Stanmore, co. Middlesex, and Edward Dalton of Pill, near Llannelly, co. Carmarthen, officer in the customs. APPOINTMENT of the uses of the mansion-house, stables, coach-houses, brewhouse and other out-houses with two gardens, a granary opposite the mansion-house, a malt-house near Newbridge, two fields called Shippin Park and Kew Thorns, three fields situated at East Hill, a small field near Norwadden, a small field "near where the cross lately stood", two dwelling- houses opposite the mansion-house in the occupation of John Phillips, merchant, a small malt-house in the occupation of John Owen, a dwelling- house in the occupation of Samuel William, a dwelling-house in the occupation of Elizabeth Howell, a dwelling-house and garden in the occupation of Captain -anbraam, a dwelling-house and garden in the occupation of William John, a field near Norwadden in the occupation of Evan Jones, a field at East Hill in the occupation of Peter Hugh, a house, garden and lands at South Hill in the occupation of Peter Hugh, a house, garden and lands at South Hill in the occupation of Evan Jenkin, a house and garden in the occupation of David Leighton, parish of Laugharn, a house, stable, malt-house and garden in the occupation of David Morris, a granary or storehouse in the occupation of Frances Morgan, and a house and garden in the occupation of William Lewis, town of Carmarthen, a tenement of land called Place Issa, parish of Llangunnok, all in co. Carmarthen, a malt-house in the occupation of John Rees and a spot of ground in the occupation of Laurence Cooke, town of Tenby, co. Pembroke.


1823, Dec. 31

1. Mary Dalton of the town and parish of Llanelly, co. Carmarthen,

Charles Howells of the town of Swansea, co. Glamorgan, gent., and James Phillips of the town of Llandilo, co. Carmarthen;

2. The Lord Bishop of St. Davids.

BOND on obtaining the administration of the goods and chattels of Edward Dalton, deceased.


1824-8

PAPERS relating to the suit of John Rees on the demises of Charles Howell, gent., and Mary Dalton, spinster, against George Bowen, esq., concerning ejectments in the parishes of Laugharne, Eglwys cummin, Llangunnock and Llansadurnen, co. Carmarthen. Papers include extensive data on the pedigree of the Llwyngwair family, briefs for plaintiffs and defendants, affidavit of complainant, etc.


MUDDLESCOMBE

Deposited by Mrs Aline Spence-Colby, Donnington Hall, Ledbury, Herefordshire.


Estate and family records of Mansell of Muddlescombe, co. Carmarthen, relating to cos Carmarthen and Glamorgan, 13th-17th cent. Other records in Dyfed RO (Carmarthen) s.n. British Records Association.

Schedule (1950), 530 pp. Annual Report 1937-38, p. 56. NLWJ, 9 (1955-6), pp. 106-8.


1674, Sept. 29.

1. Edward Mansell of Mudluscomb[e], Baronet;

2. Charles Dalton, of Penbrey, gent.

COUNTERPART LEASE of cottage and lands at Pingett in the parish of Penbrey. Seal.


1683, Nov. 12.

1. John Jenkins of Llanelthy, gent.;

2. Charles Dalton, of Pembrey, gent.

LEASE of parcels called Parke Maur and Parke Baugh alias Kay ur Ithin and Randyr situate in Penrynne.

Seal.


1683, Nov. 20.

1. John Jenkins of Pembrey, gent.;

2. Charles Dalton, of Pembrey, gent.

LEASE of a messuage called the Prosperity or Shagog.

Seal.


1661, Oct. 15.

1. Edward Mansell, of Mudlescombe, Baronet;

2. John Bonvill, parish of Pembrey, yeoman, Richard Bonvill, parish of

St. Ismalls, yeoman.

COUNTERPART LEASE of a mesuage, parcels called Gwaine Drim, Parke Kenol, Gwayne Genol, Parke Howell Jenkin Ychan at Llandediry, parish of Pembrey.


1663, May 1.

1. Edward Mansell of Mudlescombe, Baronet;

2. Alexander Bonvill, parish of Pembrey, yeoman, William, and James, his

two sons.

COUNTERPART LEASE of messuage called Llether Ychan, land near Pembrey church, lands called Keele Werm all in the parish of Pembrey. Seal.


NLW MISCELLANEOUS MSS AND DEEDS 1

During the 1920s and 1930s some lists or schedules which comprised no more than a few pages were bound up in volumes titled 'Miscellaneous'. There are five such volumes, numbered I to V. Some groups have been incorporated in NLW Deeds, or other series; some retain their identity as groups.


1759, September 1

1 Henry James of St Ishmael, co. Carm., gent., and Elizabeth his wife

2 Edward Dalton of Kidwelly, same co., gent.

3 David Thomas of Pembrey, same co., gent.

AGREEMENT to levy a fine at the next Court of Great Sessions in co. Carm. concerning lands in co. bor. Carmarthen


NLW MSS 11342-12473

TRAHERNE-MANSEL FRANKLEN 109.) FEES OF THE CLERK OF THE PEACE FOR GLAMORGAN.

Bills of fees payable to the Clerk of the Peace of Glamorgan, 1818-19; an undated comparative table of fees payable to the Clerks of the Peace in the counties of Worcester, Shropshire, Oxford, and Glamorgan; a return, so far as relates to the Court of Quarter Sessions for Glamorgan, to a resolution of the House of Commons of 26 August, 1846, touching the receipt and disposal of fees; and a printed report, 1874, by Thomas Dalton, Clerk of the Peace for Glamorgan, on the business done by him and included in the arrangement with the county in 1866, and also of all fees and emoluments of his office not included in such arrangement.


R. K. LUCAS COLLECTION

Records (deposited by R. K. Lucas), mainly 17th-20th cent., from the office of Messrs John Harvey and Sons, later Messrs James Thomas and Sons, land estate agents, Haverfordwest, chiefly relating to the estate of the bishop of St Davids (including some official diocesan records);


1745, May 29.

1. Elizaeth Bowen of Haverfordwest, widow and executrix of William Bowen, gent., deceased, Frances Dalton of Carmarthen, widow and relict of Richard Dalton, gent., deceased, and Jane Bowen of Haverfordwest, spinster, which said Frances and Jane are the daughters and coheirs of the said Elizabeth Bowen and William Bowen;

2. Stephen Morris of Haverfordwest, alderman.

LEASE for a year of a messuage and garden in the parish of St. Thomas, Haverfordwest.


Misc. Info.

Penybedd Farm. One of the principal farms belonging to the Cwrt Pembre estate, shown as a minor gentry house on Emanuel Bowen’s Map of South Wales of 1729

Broad weir was clearly an important, long-lived and valuable weir. In 1443-4. 'Brodewere' yielded a rent of 20s.44 This was paid together with the rent for Caldecot south of Kidwelly where the Butlers of Cwrt, Pembrey, longstanding officers of the Lordship of Kidwelly, rented lands and several other weirs. (Fishing areas)


Butlers of Cwrt, Pembrey:

As the Norman conquerors advanced through South Wales, they left in their wake a string of castles, the nearest one being Kidwelly. One of the Norman lords, a certain Le Boteler, was granted lands in the Lordship of Kidwelly, at Pembrey. Le Boteler was later anglicised to Butler. The Butlers needed a manor house as a residence, but also to act as their manorial court, ie sorting out rents etc. So Cwrt came into being.

The Butlers had obligations to their Kidwelly overlords; for instance, in times of war they had to provide 5 archers to the Lord of Kidwelly. The Butlers also had to provide one knight to attend 'At the Court of Foreignry of Kidwelly'. There were other duties, which the humbler inhabitants of Pembrey had to perform; for example, the men of the parish had to give a day's ploughing and help with the hay.

The manor of Penbre was granted to Sir Arnold Butler by Maurice de Londres, lord of Kidwelly, in about 1128. The last known reference to the Pembrey Butlers was in c.1500. Ann Butler, heiress of estates at Pembrey and Dunraven, married Sir Richard Vaughan of Bredwardine in Herefordshire, High Sheriff of that county in 1530. During the Civil War period, Cwrt was the home of Sir George Vaughan, an ardent Royalist. This crippling fine led him to return to live at Cwrt, and to sell off his estates at Dunraven and Fallersdon.


John Ashburnham wrote of Cwrt in 1677: ' I saw Pembrey House (Court), an old stone house, large enough and kept in good repair', 10 years after he had married Bridget and had moved to Ashburnham Place in Sussex.

So Cwrt now became Cwrt Farm, the home of estate stewards and tenant farmers. In 1823, the Ashburnhams built themselves an elegant villa, Pembrey House, as an occasional residence, the centre of their 8,000-acre Carms estate. Cwrt Farm was later sold to the Bonnell family.


Pembrey Court (Cwrt Penbre)

The present ‘Pembrey Court’, ‘Cwrt Penbre’, or as it has been known by the residents of Pembrey for many years ‘Court Farm’, dates from the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century, when it was the residence of the Butlers. (Le Bottler which In due course became Butler, one of the ancestors is believed to have held the appointment as butler in the household of the Norman King and is from these circumstances that they derive their name, hence the piece below)

The Butlers held the Manor as early as 1128. The Manor of Pembrey was granted to Sir Arnold Butler, when William De Lourdes was on an expedition to Kidwelly, the welsh of Glamorgan laid siege to his castle on the banks of the ‘Ogmore’. His butler, whose name was Arnold, defended it bravely and compelled the enemy to abandon their operations and depart, When William De Lordes returned, he rewarded his faithful butler with the castle and Manor of Dunraven.

The Manor of Penbre remained in their hands until the early part of the 16th Century, it seems that all heirs of the Butlers were called John, genealogies reveal at least 6 John Butlers succeeded each other to the estates of Dunraven and Pembrey. The last Butler at Pembrey was Anne the daughter of John Butler & Jane Bassett of Beaupre, who married Sir Richard Vaughan of Bredwardine and brought the manor of Pembrey to her husband and the Vaughan’s.

During the fourteenth century, Walter Sais, took part in the wars of Edward III, and married Florence daughter of Sir Walter Bredwardine of Bredwardine in Herefordshire. Sir Roger Fychan (Vaughan) fought in the company of his father-in-law, David Gam, at Agincourt where both fell, Sir Rogers great grandson Sir Richard Vaughan of Bredwardine was present at Terouenne and Tourney in 1513, and was Sheriff of Herefordshire in 1530, and by marriage to Anne daughter of John Butler of Dunraven and Pembrey became Lord of these properties.

Sir Richard was followed by his son Walter Vaughan ( married Blanche daughter of William Rudhall of Rudhall), High Sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1557, and died around 1575-80, he had two sons, Thomas who succeeded to Bredwardine, Dunraven and Pembrey, and Charles who married the heiress of Cwmgwili, near Carmarthen, and was High Sheriff in 1602.

Thomas Vaughan (married Catherine Jones daughter of Sir Thomas Sions (Jones) of Abermarlais) of Bredwardine, Dunraven and Pembrey, was justice of the peace for Carmarthenshire, and high sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1566 and 1570, he died C1583. Thomas Vaughan had two sons by Catherine, Walter eldest and Heir, and John Vaughan.

The eldest son Walter Vaughan lived at Fallersdon, he was knighted in 1603. In 1607-8 he was granted and purchased the lands called ‘Caldicott’ in Pembrey at a price of £900.00p.

Walter Vaughan Married three times, Firstly to Anne daughter & heiress of John Hannam, they had one son and one daughter, the second marriage was to Dorothy Pole, who died without issue, and thirdly to Margaret daughter of George Norton of Lee near Bristol, they had two sons, Sir Walter died on 7th May 1639.

Charles son of Walter Vaughan lived at Pembrey Court for a short while, and died during his fathers lifetime, by his second marriage Walter had two sons George & Frederick, George succeeded, and was knighted in 1643, he was a Royalist, and was imprisoned in 1648 at Southwark after the revolution, by the Parlimentary party and fined £2,609p for deliguency, and had to sell the Dunraven estate. And died in 1649. Although he had no issue, (except a natural daughter called Elizabeth Vaughan by Mary Louisa). The estate of Pembrey passed to Frederick his younger brother.

Frederick was blinded by smallpox shortly after birth, when he was old enough he took Holy Orders, and lived in Dorset, he died in 1662 at Salisbury, his wife Frances, daughter of William Dawie died in 1662, they had one child Walter.

Walter Vaughan lived at Pembrey and Porthaml (and died a year before his father Frederick in 1661), married Alice daughter of Thomas Bond, they had two children, Bridget born in 1660 and Walter born in 1661 who died in 1662, after Walter Vaughan’s death his wife Alice married William Ball of Greys Inn, he then lived on the Vaughan estates, and was High Sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1682, he died C1695, and his wife Alice in 1698.

Bridget Vaughan, (Sole heiress of Pembrey and last of the Vaughan’s). Married John Ashburnham of Ashburnham, Sussex, on 22nd July 1677.

Although none of the Ashburnham’s ever lived at Pembrey Court, (mainly living at their seat in Sussex), the Court And Pembrey Manor remained in there possession until the death of the last and 6th Earl of Ashburnham, Thomas, who died without Issue.

The Ashburnham Estates including Pembrey were sold by auction in 1922.

Although the latter-day Vaughans and Ashburnham connection never resided in the old Manor House, it was by no means neglected, and was lived in by a series of the estate agents and Yeomen who kept the building in good trim, one of the sons born at the Court being David Thomas (1739-1788) who became one of the leading bone setters of that period. Neither were manorial rights overlooked, and manorial courts continued to be held down to the first half of the 20th Century and the franchises exercised.

The court was later bought by farmers, but during the 1950's it became ruinous, and is now empty and wholly ruinous, and sadly not really capable of being preserved as one of Carmarthenshire’s few surviving examples of Elizabethan architecture.


Pembrey House (not Court Farm)
In 1812 a Messrs Grant & Co. built a furnace for iron smelting. No records are available of the quantities of iron produced, but for a time they seem to have carried on quite successfully, for they built Pembrey House and Pembrey Harbour.

In 1845 John Stanley acquires a 60 year lease on Pembrey House, South Wales from Lord Ashburnham and most of the properties associated with the failed Pembrey Iron and Coal Company including the well-known Pwyll Stanley (Stanley Pit). Amongst the buildings belonging to the Ironworks was a substantial two storey building in which Stanley allowed a large room upstairs to be used as a school. There is also a railway bridge called Stanley's Bridge. In 1857 he demonstrated his steam threshing machine to a large audience ('The Cambrian' September 25th 1857). He further enlarged the Ironworks and also acquired further mining interests in Gowerton and Llanelly and continued as a prosperous industrialist in the area until about 1865.

From Pembrey walk down the medieval route down to Penybedd and Caldicot.

Hidden from sight in Court Wood above the walk is an ancient hill fort, while ivy cloaks most of the mainly Elizabethan Manor of Pembrey Court, now known as Court Farm, built in 1128 and now a ruined shell that is easy to miss as you walk by.


Top
Back to Wales
Home

©2000-2014 Site design and database indices, Dalton Genealogical Society.
Contents have been provided by the Dalton Genealogical Society, its members and independent contributors. It is the onus of the user to verify the data.